Thursday, April 2, 2015

IIS (Internet Information Service)

IIS

Internet Information Service (I.I.S.): It is a web server from Microsoft used for administering, managing, controlling websites.

I.I.S. is the server component which provides services like www, http, ftp, nntp, SMTP, FrontPage, .net frame works

WWW: World Wide Web:  enables use of internet.
HTTP: (Hiper text transfer Protocol): Supports file types like text, audio &video
Gopher: used prior to http supported only text.
FTP: (File Transfer Protocol): used for uploading or downloading, huge size files.
NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol): Used for publishing the same message for a group of people.

SMTP: (Simple mail transfer protocol);   Used by exchange server for sending mails.
Front page: It is a designing tool for WebPages
Win – NT 4.0 had I.I.S. version 2, 3 and 4.
Win 2000 I.I.S. version is 5.0
Win 2003 - 6.0

Port number details are available at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services

Port: port is a communication channel through which services of one system communicate with the services of other system each service has one port number allotted

Features of I.I.S. (6.0)

Ø Fully secured
Ø Reliability
Ø Salability
Ø Manageability
Ø Isolation of users.
Ø Backup of websites

Requirements
:
DC or member server
Static IP
NTFS partition
Web pages
DNS and Zones with concerned records.

Installing I.I.S.:

On DC or member server
From Control Panel
Add/rem programs
Add/rem windows components
Select application server
Click on details
Select I.I.S.
Details
Select F.T.P. & www. Services
Ok – next




Requirements of a website

Web content or web pages
Zones with host records
Public IP

Creation of a Website:

(Create the zones in DNS with a host records)
Start  - p – admin tools – I.I.S. right click on websites – new  - website – description ( site name, ex: yahoo)
Select the I.P> (system’s IP)
Specify the host header as www. Sitename.com ex: www.yahoo.com
Browse the WebPages folder
Next
Check the box ‘browse’
Next – finish

Adding the web content:

Right click on the .htm file name concerned
Rename – select copy – right click on the website we’ve created >properties – documents – add - paste – ok – move up the htm we’ve copied. – Apply – ok.

Verification:
Open internet explorer
Type the website you’ve created

Virtual Directory: These are useful for creating child websites or links
Ex: mail servers, chat servers, advertisement servers etc…

Creation of Child websites:

Right click on the parent website we’ve created
New – virtual directory – next – child name - ex: mail- chat etc..
Browse WebPages folder
Check the box browse - next – finish.

Adding Web Contents

Select .htm file
Right click – rename
Copy – select child website – properties – documents – add – paste – ok
Move up – apply – ok

Verification: open Internet Explorer and type website name.”www.yahoo.com\chat

Redirecting a website:

Redirection is useful in various cases.
Case1: renaming of the website where users are unaware of the change.
Case2: when the website is under construction
Case3: when the website hosting server is unavailable, we go for redirection

Implementing redirection or configuring redirection:

Create 2 websites
Select web content create 2 websites
Select web content
Create 2 zones with host records corresponding
Open I.I.S.
Right click on the website we want to redirect
Properties - home directory – select a redirection to url
Ex: http://www.Sitename.com apply – ok

Verification:
Open I.E. type the 1st website name
It should open second website

Document footer:

Useful for publishing advertisements in a particular websites and seen as a footer for the website
Open I.I.S.
Right click on the website
Properties
Documents
Check the box enable documents footer
Browse webpages folder
Select any .htm file
Apply – ok

Backup of website:

It is a new feature in 2003. We can backup and restore websites.
Open I.I.S.
Right click on the website we want to back up
All tasks-Save configuration to a file
Give filename & select the browse
File where we want to save – ok
Verification:
Delete the website you’ve backed up

Restoring a website:

Open I.I.S.
Right click on the websites
Select website from file
Browse the backup file we have saved
Click on read file

Select the site name – ok

No comments:

Post a Comment